Wyoming Contractor License Classifications

In fact, in Wyoming all contractors get their licenses on a city level. The only exception is the electrical contractor license.

Therefore, if you want to get your Wyoming contractor license you should consider the local state requirements. It is important if you want to become a licensed contractor.

In Wyoming each contractor license has its set of classifications and sub-classifications. They vary from county to county. However, they will give you general information about each of them.

The Wyoming contractor license classifications and sub-classifications

As most things are done on a local level, it won’t be easy for you to do any search, lookup or verification of a contractor license in Wyoming.

There are three main contractor classifications; General contractors, Individual contractors and Electrical contractors. Each one has its own contractor sub-classifications.

General Contractors

There are five sub-classifications of General contractors. Each of the classifications has its scope of work. Make sure you are getting the right one, when you are applying for a general contractor’s license.

Class I

If you want to construct, repair or alter any type of structure, you need this license class. As you can see it will give you many opportunities. That’s to say, your only limit as a general class I contractor will be the sky.

Class II

This license is for contractors who want to do repair or alteration of residential structures with eight or more units. It also enables to do remodeling of commercial structures up to a quarter of the estimated value of the structure.

Class III

This license gives a contractor the authority to repair, model, or alter single-family dwellings only up to 25% of the estimated cost.

Demolition Contractors

The only duty demolition contractors will have is to demolish and remove structures. For obtaining your demolition license you don’t have to take a written test. To clarify, you need about $230 for paying the application and renewal fees.

Roofing Contractors

Any contractor who wants to repair, build or install any roofing materials or just roofs needs to get a roofing license. They will need to take a written test on the roofing section of the International Building Code. For application, the fee is $150 and for renewal, it is $75.

Individual Contractors

The state’s licensing system defines these contractors, as those who deal with more specialized trades. Mechanical and plumbing, pressure boiler and utilities trade jurisdictions belong to the individual contractor licenses.

There is a huge difference between Journeyman level and Master level licenses. If contractors want to apply for the first one they must have a proof of four years of experience. For the second one, the experience should be of five years or more.

Mechanical and plumbing contractor license

Those who apply for a plumbing or a mechanical contractor’s license must have another experience. They must be qualified as a full-time individual master.

Pressure boiler contractor license

Here also you will see the difference between a low-pressure boiler and high-pressure boiler contractors. If you want to be the first type, you must have just 3 months experience in the trade. However, for the second type, you must have at least 2 years of experience.

Utility installer license

To apply for a utility installer license you need to have 1 year. However, if you want to work on a wider of utilities you may need at least 4 years of experience.

Electrical License

The State of Wyoming gives state licenses only to qualified electricians. The electricians must have many years of experience. If you want to get your license in a legal way and without any problems, you need:

  • A copy of your Wyoming Electrical license
  • Written insurance proof that you are liable for the costs

Building Contractors

Class A or General Contractor

The licensee can construct, repair or destroy any structures. However, he must do it only after the permission from a city’s adopted codes.

Class B or Building Contractor

This license is for the contractors who want to do any repair or demolition work on 1, 2, 3, or 4 family dwelling 3 storied units. They can also do the same work on commercial structures of up to 5,000 square feet in size.

Class R or Residential Contractor

This license is for repair or demolition of 1 and 2 family dwellings of up to 3 stories above grade. However, it can also be used to do the same with townhouses of up to 3 stories above grade.

Class C or Specialty Contractors

If contractors want to obtain Class C licenses, they must know that their actions will be limited. They will be able to perform the type of work for which they have got the license. However, they can also get multiple Class C Specialty Contractor licenses.

Trade Licenses

Trade license has the following classifications:

  1. Electricians (master, journeyman)
  2. Gas Pipefitters (master, journeyman, apprentice)
  3. HVAC Technicians (master, journeyman, apprentice)
  4. Plumbers (master, journeyman, apprentice)
  5. Refrigeration Technicians (master, journeyman, apprentice)


The work of electricians is recorded in the 2017 NEC. To apply for a city license, contractors need to provide a copy of a Wyoming valid license.

Gas Pipefitter

The contractor’s job is presented in the 2015 IFGC, with a few changes. Installing gas piping and propane tanks inside structures are the duties of gas pipefitters.

HVAC Technician

The duties of an HVAC technician are present in the 2015 IMC. The HVAC technicians who also want to do Gas Pipefitter jobs, must get an additional license.


The plumber’s works are described in the 2015 IPC.

Refrigeration Technician

The refrigeration technician’s work is in the 2015 IMC either. The contractor may also want to be qualified as refrigeration technician. In this case, they must present an ESCO Refrigeration Certificate.

In the city of Gillette there are two more classifications of contractor’s licenses:

  1. The class of license
  2. The individual trade license

Other classifications and sub-classifications of Wyoming contractor license are the following:

  • Electrical contractor
  • Fire Protection Contractor
  • Petroleum Products Piping Contractor
  • Plumbing Contractor
  • Gas Service Contractor
  • Refrigeration Contractor
  • Lawn Sprinkler contractor
  • Water and Sewer Utility contractor
  • Mechanical Contractor
  • Water Softener Contractor
Alla M.

Alla M.

Alla is a SEO specialist and a content writer with an experience of 10 years. She has written many articles for different websites and companies. Alla has been working with writing challenged clients for over four years. She provides ghost writing, coaching and ghost editing services. Her educational background in family science and linguistics has given her a broad base from which to approach many topics. Alla writes SEO articles for businesses that want to see their Google search rankings surge. Her articles have appeared in a number of websites, including ArticlesBase.com, HubPages.com and TRCB.com. She contributes articles about SEO techniques regularly. Her articles focus on balancing informative with SEO needs–but never at the expense of providing an entertaining read.